Installing the LiveVault agent on Windows
This article describes how to download and install the LiveVault service software onto a computer running Microsoft Windows.
Before proceeding with this task, ensure the computer meets the LiveVault system requirements.
In addition, it is important to ensure that the ports and IP addresses used to support LiveVault operation are enabled on your network firewall. Please refer to knowledge article, KB0011285, LiveVault firewall and IP port rules, for further detail.
Log in to the LiveVault Portal
To login to the LiveVault Portal,
- Open an internet browser, such as Internet Explorer.
- In the address bar, enter the web portal address https://backupdirect.onlinebackup.com and click return.
The Welcome LOGIN page appears.
- Enter your Login name, which was provided in your registration email.
- Enter your Password, which you will have created during the registration process.
- Click Login.
The home page for the LiveVault Portal appears.
Download and install the service software
- In the LiveVault Portal, select Downloads from the top menu bar.
The DOWNLOADS page opens.
- From the list of download kits available, select the required download kit.
You cannot install the 64-bit agent on a 32-bit machine. Likewise, you cannot install the 32-bit agents on a 64-bit machine
- Click Download.
A message appears, asking if you want to run or save your download.exe file.
- Click Run to continue the installation process now. Alternatively click Save to save the software to a specified location. You can then begin the installation process later by starting the executable file you downloaded.
If installing the LiveVault Agent on Windows Server 2008 / 2012 machines, you must run the installer as Admin. To run the installer as Admin, right-click on the downloaded filename and, from the menu options presented, click Run as Administrator.
- When the installation begins, accept the license agreement, and click Next.
- Choose the default installation location for the software, or click Change to change the destination for the software and for the backup database files.
The installation defaults to the volume with the greatest amount of free space as the location for the backup database files, as follows: <x:\>\LiveVaultdata, where x:\ is the volume letter.
Cloud Direct recommends you select a location other than your root drive for the backup database files. The backup database files can grow to consume a lot of space, depending on the number of backup policies you create and the amount of data you are backing up. The volume for the LiveVault data directory should optimally have at least 5 GB free disk space.
Server Vaulting recommends you install the data directory to a NTFS or ReFS formatted volume on Windows Server 2012.
Important: Do not select a Windows 2012 volume optimized for data deduplication for the location of the data directory.
- Click Next.
- Click Install to install the software.
The LiveVault agent software is now installed.
See LiveVault knowledge article, "Creating a new computer (server) account" for information on provisioning and configuring the software in preparation for backup.