Connected Backup: PC Agent Quick Start
This document is a quick reference for common Connected Backup PC Agent tasks.
If the Agent is not installed on your computer, refer to Cloud Direct knowledge article, KB0010857 Register and download Connected Backup Agent software, or contact your system administrator.
If you are running Connected Backup on an Apple Mac then please refer to knowledge article KB0010855, Connected Backup: Mac Agent Quick Start.
The PC Agent Quick Start covers the following topics:
- Opening the Agent
- Backing up files or folders
- Retrieving files or folders
- Viewing messages
- Using the Agent Status icon
To open the Agent, proceed as follows,
- On the desktop, double-click the Connected Backup icon .
The Agent opens on the Home page.
- If the Agent icon is available in the System Taskbar, then it may be opened by double-clicking from the Taskbar.
When you run the Agent for the first time, it prompts you for your account credentials. Follow the instructions on the prompt to sign in.
Files or folders will be backed up automatically in accordance with your backup set and schedule. They may also be backed up manually at any time. To back up files manually, proceed as follows,
- On the Back Up panel, click the Back Up Now button to start the back up.
During the backup, the Backing Up dialog displays the progress of the backup.
View backup history
To view your most recent backup then, from the Back Up panel, click the date link next to Last Backup.
The View History box appears. To view details about the last backup, then in the View History dialog box, click the Show summary link.
Changing your automatic backup settings
Provided your Connected Backup Agent rules settings, preferences, and permissions allow it, you can change which files or folders you backup (your backup set), your backup schedule, or your backup options.
Changing your backup set
Your backup set consists of files on your computer that the Agent backs up. You can determine which files to include in your default backup set if you have the proper permission.
To change your default backup set, proceed as follows,
- Open the Back Up panel.
The Agent scans the files on your computer to determine which files are selected for backup.
The check box next to a folder or file name indicates whether the item is selected for backup:
- The item is selected for backup.
- The item is not selected for backup.
- Some items in the folder are selected for backup.
- To view a folder's contents, select the folder in the left pane or double-click the folder in the right pane. The right pane displays the folder's content.
- To select a folder or file for the next backup, click the check box next to that item. A green check mark () appears.
- To remove a folder or file from the next backup, select the check box next to that item until the check box is cleared (). If the check box next to a folder or file name is disabled, you cannot change whether to select the item for backup.
Changing your backup schedule
To change your backup schedule, proceed as follows,
- Open the Back Up panel.
- Click the time that the Next Backup field displays.
The Backup Schedule tab opens.
- Select how you want to back up files:
- Back up files automatically according to the following schedule – Sets the automatic backup schedule, but you may still perform a manual backup at any time. If you enable automatic backup, select each day that you want the Agent to perform a backup, and then select a time period for the backup to occur. Be sure to select a time period when your computer is on and the backup process does not interfere with other resource-intensive activities.
- Do not back up automatically - Backup occurs only when you manually initiate it.
- Click OK.
See Cloud Direct knowledge article, KB0010858, Backing up files, for further information on backing up files and folders with Connected Backup.
To retrieve previously backed up files or folders, proceed as follows.
- Open the Retrieve panel.
If the Retrieve panel is closed, then click the down arrow to the left of Back Up to open it
The Retrieve panel displays the most recent version of files on the Data Centre. If the Data Centre contains older versions of a file, the Agent lets you see which versions are available and you can select one or more for retrieval, if needed.
- Open the Show Versions list, and specify the file versions that you want the Agent to display.
- Most Recent - Displays only the files from the most recent backup.
- As of Backup Date... - Displays only the files backed up on a specific date.
- All - Displays all versions of your backed-up files.
- Locate a specific folder or file to retrieve by browsing Backed Up Files in the left hand pane. Alternatively, use the Search box to find your backed up files.
To view a folder's contents, either select the folder in the left pane, or double-click the folder in the right pane. The right pane displays the folder's content.
- Select a folder or file to retrieve, as follows:
- Tick the check box next to the file or folder .
- Click Retrieve Now.
For security reasons, you may be asked now to enter your Connected Backup Agent password in order to retrieve files. If so, then enter your password and click OK.
The Retrieve options dialog opens.
- In the Retrieve options dialog, make the following decisions:
- Where to save the retrieved files - You can retrieve files to their original location or to a new folder.
- How to handle conflicting file names - If you retrieve more than one version of the same file, you can choose to rename the file or overwrite the file.
- Click OK.
The retrieve process begins, and ends with a message indicating, Completed successfully.
See Cloud Direct knowledge article, KB0010865, Restoring backed up files or folders, for further information on retrieving backed up files and folders with Connected Backup.
Messages are either created by system administrators or generated automatically as the result of system activity. The Agent checks for new messages when it connects to the Data Centre for automatic or manual backup and retrievals. If the Agent receives a message, it displays the message in a Message panel.
If the Message panel is hidden, then click Show at the top of the Home page.
If a message includes a link, then to open the message in your default Web browser, click the link.
To view all messages received from the Data Centre in the Message panel, scroll through the messages.
The Agent Status icon is located in the System Taskbar.
- Double-clicking on the Agent Status icon opens the Connected Backup Agent interface.
- Right clicking on the Agent Status icon offers quick access to a number of useful functions.
- When a backup is in progress, holding your mouse pointer over the Agent Status icon shows the backup status.
To access online Help within the Connected Backup Agent interface proceed as follows.
In the Backup or Retrieve panels, click the Help button, and then select Help.
On the Settings page, click the Help button at the bottom left hand corner of the page.
Cloud Direct knowledge articles
Additional Cloud Direct knowledge base articles are available through the new Provide™ portal, or by contacting Cloud Direct Technical Support. These include the following:
- KB0010852 Connected Backup: Administering PC Agents
- KB0010854 Connected Backup: PC Agent Quick Start
- KB0010855 Connected Backup: Mac Agent Quick Start
- KB0010857 Registering and downloading Connected Backup Agent software
- KB0010858 Backing up files or folders
- KB0010862 Modifying Connected Backup account information
- KB0010863 Changing your Connected Backup account password
- KB0010864 Using MyRoam
- KB0010870 Backing up Digita database files with Windows Vista or Windows 7
- KB0010865 Restoring backed up files or folders using the Agent Interface
- KB0010873 Restoring backed up files or folders using MyRoam
Cloud Direct Technical Support
Though we are confident with the quality of the product you have purchased, it is important to us that you are completely satisfied with the service we provide. If you require assistance then please don't hesitate to contact the Cloud Direct Technical Support Team on 0800 0789 438, or email email@example.com.