Exchange Server not showing on the LiveVault portal
If an Exchange Server is not showing on the LiveVault portal, then it may be a local registry issue causing LiveVault to not have visibility of the Exchange Writer.
By default, the Setup program for Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 turns off the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 writer for the Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) service. This is to avoid any conflicts with the Backup utility (NTBackup.exe). However, LiveVault uses the VSS service to back up Exchange Server 2003, so LiveVault users must turn on the Exchange Writer in the registry.
This article describes how to turn on the Exchange Writer.
Turning on the Exchange Writer
This task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
To turn on the Exchange Writer, proceed as follows.
- Right click on Start, then select Run from the menu options.
- In the Run dialogue box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- If a User Account Control box appears, click Yes to allow the Registry Editor to make changes to your computer.
The Registry Editor window opens.
- In the left hand navigation tree, locate and then double-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem
- Double-click the Disable Exchange Writer value.
- In the Value data text box, change the value from 1 (Disable) to 0 (Enable).
- Click OK.
- Quit the Registry Editor.
The registry entry has been changed to enable the Exchange Writer. You must now restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
Restarting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store
To restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store, proceed as follows.
- Right click on Start then, from the menu options, select Administrative Tools.
- Click Services.
- On the Services page, stop, and then restart, the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.